Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Anise Soap

Anise Soap

The list of soaps I would like to make is … well, it’s endless.  There are so many wonderful combinations of base oils, essential oils, botanicals, and natural soap colorants. 

Anise Soap
Lately, I have been intrigued by the use of activated charcoal in soapmaking.  I was mainly interested in the visual effect of contrasting the black charcoal against a basic white soap background for starters.  Just thinking about combining the black with even more colors makes me giddy! 

However, when investigating the use of activated charcoal in soapmaking I discovered that there is quite a list of beneficial medicinal properties associated with the use of activated charcoal.  I will make no claims as to these beneficial properties in soap other than its use as a visual effect. 

Anise (pimpinella anisum)



My source for anise essential oil describes it as having a “warm heady licorice aroma that brings back childhood memories of black licorice shared with friends.”  Yes.  I agree.  In this soap I did not combine the anise essential oil with any other essential oils because I just wanted to enjoy it all by itself … and drift back to my childhood for a piece of black licorice. 







Anise Soap



saponified
tallow
soybean oil
coconut oil
olive oil
sweet almond oil
shea butter
anise essential oil
activated charcoal powder







The base oils used in this soap
(and all my soaps for that matter)
are constantly subjected to scrutiny. 
[Translation:  I obsess and lose sleep over this stuff.] 
The goal is to produce a soap that
lathers well, cleans well, but is gentle on the skin. 


Anise Soap




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make your comment here.